EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing) is a psychotherapy that enables people to heal from the symptoms and emotional distress that are the result of chronic or traumatic disturbing life experiences. EMDR research consistently shows that the mind can heal psychological trauma much as the body recovers physical trauma. Your body works to heal wounds and injuries. If a foreign object or repeated injury irritates the wound, it festers and causes pain. Once the block is removed, healing resumes. EMDR therapy demonstrates that a similar sequence of events occurs with the brain’s information processing system; which naturally moves toward mental health. If the system is blocked or imbalanced by the impact of a disturbing event, the emotional wound festers and can cause suffering. Once the block is removed, healing resumes. Using the EMDR protocols and procedures, clinicians can help clients activate their natural healing processes.
To learn more about EMDR please visit the EMDRIA website or call me for a consultation to explore if it might be helpful for you.
Nurtured Heart Approach:
The Nurtured Heart Approach is a relationship-focused parenting and educational approach that provides a powerful set of strategies designed specifically to turn a child around to a new pattern of success in positive and creative ways. Parents who have tried other traditional methods with minimal or no positive outcomes often find the Nurtured Heart Approach to be a powerful force of change in their homes (and hearts). This invaluable parenting method teaches parents to identify and set clear boundaries while focusing on building the behaviors, values, and characteristics that a child will carry into his or her world. Parents are then blessed to watch the child find their inner strength and wealth which increases self-monitoring, emotional regulation, and ownership of their own behaviors/outcomes.
With the right tools, you get to experience the joy of having a therapeutic effect and of watching your child succeed. You can feel empowered to make the right parenting decisions in each moment, with minimal negative energy around you and your family.
According to difficultchild.com, “The Nurtured Heart Approach® is a set of core methodologies originally developed for working with the most difficult children. It has become a powerful way of bringing inner wealth to all children while facilitating parenting and classroom success. It has a proven, transformative impact on every child, including those with behavioral diagnosis such as ADHD, Autism, Asperger’s Syndrome, Oppositional Defiant Disorder, and Reactive Attachment Disorder – almost always without the need for medications or long-term treatment.”
Howard Glasser is the founder of the Children’s Success Foundation and creator of the Nurtured Heart Approach® which has been used in hundreds of thousands of homes and classrooms around the world.
CORE METHODOLOGIES: THE THREE STANDS
• Neutralize Negative Behavior (“Don’t energize the bunny- take the batteries out”)
• Energize Positive Behavior in Meaningful Ways (“Create the relationship that honors you and your child and allow for time-in)
• Demonstrate Fair and Consistent Boundaries (“Create limits for transformation”)
Some of the many BENEFITS OF NURTURED HEART APPROACH
• Understand the uniqueness of the challenging child in the here & now
• Teaching a child to “Shift” or “flip” his/her intensity in successful ways
• Create a deeper sense relationship by allowing by building success & inner wealth for the child
• Identifying behavior that is working by feeding the soul with greatness this is not complimenting and feeding empty words
• Teaching a child to be Fearless in standing in their own Greatness
Additional Counseling Modalities Employed in Treatment:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT)
- Internal Family Systems Therapy (IFS)
- Gottman Method Couples Therapy
- Emotion Focused Couples Therapy (EFT)
- Trauma-focused and Trauma-focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (TFCBT)